There are many factors on your checklist to look at when traveling abroad and a telephone connection is clearly one of them. That's why it's so important to have everything on your phone to access the internet when you need it!
If you have an Android phone, click here.
Nova offers mobile phone services and roaming in over 216 countries in collaboration with foreign telephone companies. Nova's customers in subscription and pre-paid do therefore have access to mobile services on their travels abroad. Most countries offer 3G Internet services, but 4G and 5G Internet services are becoming available in other countries.
The cost of using your phone abroad depends on where you are going. If you are travelling within the EEA, you have a certain amount of your data package that you can use , but it varies depending on which package you have. You can see how many GB's of data are included in your plan in Stóllinn in the Nova app and of course on nova.is. If you are traveling outside the EEA the Travel Package might be ideal for you.
When you've made sure that your country of destination offers a mobile service to Nova users, let's turn to the technical facts.
Start by opening Stóllinn in the Nova app, or contact us via the online chat on nova.is to to make sure the setting on your number are correct for usage abroad. You can go to the Nova app, click 'Services', select the number that is abroad / is going abroad, and under Settings turn on Notkun erlendis and Netið í símann erlendis.
Are you having trouble connection to a carrier abroad and have no serivce?
Make sure you have Airplane Mode turned off before attempting to connect to a system.
- Turn on Mobile Data.
To turn on Mobile Data, go to Settings - Mobile Data - turn on Mobile Data.
- Turn on Data Roaming. To turn on Data Roaming, go to Settings - Mobile Data - Mobile Data Options - turn on Data Roaming.
- Set the phone to select carrier automatically. To set the phone to select the carrier automatically, you need to go to Settings - Mobile Data - Network Selection - Turn on Automatic.
If you are abroad, you might need to restart your phone with Airplane Mode off, Mobile Data, Data Roaming and Automatic turned on (note that you may need to restart your phone 1x-2x at short intervals if the phone does not connect to the first restart).
If your phone does not connect to the system after a reboot, we will proceed to the next step:
- Set the phone to select carrier manually. To set the phone to select the carrier manually, you need to go to Settings - Mobile Data - Network Selection - Turn off Automatic and a few options should pop up. Select a carrier of your choosing. Note that you might to restart your phone.
- Is there a Profile set up on your phone? To view it, you need to go to Settings - General - scroll down to Transfer or reset iPhone. If there is a Profile there you do not know then you need to delete it and restart the phone.
Is there still no service?
- Are you traveling with others? How does their service work?
- Try inserting your SIM card into another phone or another SIM card into your phone (note that you will need to restart your phone.
This is a good trick if everything else seems to fail! After switching SIM cards, it is a good idea to have the phone select a carrier automatically before reverting the SIM cards again. This can tell us exactly whether the phone or the SIM card is the problem.
- If there is still no connection, you can finally try Reset Network Settings. To reset network settings, go to Settings - General - Transfer or Reset iPhone - Reset - Reset network settings and restart the phone. (Note that if you make Reset Network Settings then you will need to log in with a password to all apps again and log back in to all WiFi connections, e.g. home network, work network, etc.).
Having trouble making phone calls when abroad?
- Can you access the internet but can not make or receive calls / SMS?
- Are you dialling via acountry code? Click here to see which country code you need to use. Remember to put 00 or + in front.
- Is your plan pre-paid or via subscription? For example, it is not possible to receive a phone call outside the EEA if you do not have credit.
- Is the problem limited to one number or all? if the problem is a single number, check with the person you are trying to reach.
- Have you been abroad for longer, within the EEA, than 2 months in the last 4 months?
Check if the number is in permanent roaming. You can see if the number is in permanent roaming in Stóllinn in the Nova app.
- What happens when you try to make a call? Is there a dialling sound? Does any error appear on the screen?
If you still can not make a call, or use the internet abroad, please contact us via the online chat on nova.is